Thursday, October 4, 2007

Best and Worst Nutrition Sites : Part Three

By Marcie Barnes

(This post is part of an assignment for the class I am taking, Global Impact of New Communication Technologies at the School of Journalism and Mass Communication, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. I will be posting the best and worst websites I find on nutritional information related to my research project, as described here http://feedingblackmail.blogspot.com/2007/09/cheap-food-or-expensive-organic-is.html.)

Today's Best

Wikipedia's Article on Organic Food

Although many Wikipedia entries are controversial in their objectivity, I find this one to be thorough, well thought out and concise. It gives a very well-rounded explanation of what organic food is, including how organic farming benefits the environment, legal definitions, and nutritional value. There are also criticisms of organic foods which are discussed in an intelligent way here, which is important to giving a well-rounded scope.

Today's Worst

Nubella.com's Balanced Eating Blog

This blog was disappointing to me because it was more of a diary of the author and the foods she ate from day to day, rather than a source of information (I was led to this blog by the title - Balanced Eating). There are lots of recipes and interesting experiences written about here, but not enough true information on healthy eating for me. I would like to see the author interject more of an opinion, balanced with other points of view on the subject of nutrition. The diary approach is fine, for a more limited readership.

No comments: