Friday, October 5, 2007

Best and Worst Nutrition Sites: Part Four

By Marcie Barnes

(This post is part of an assignment for the class I am taking, Global Impact of New Communication Technologies at the School of Journalism and Mass Communication, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. I will be posting the best and worst websites I find on nutritional information related to my research project, as described here http://feedingblackmail.blogspot.com/2007/09/cheap-food-or-expensive-organic-is.html.)

Today's Best

USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference


I have been using this very extensive database for years, since my pregnancy when I was obsessive about getting lots of good nutrition. I recently found out that this is the same resource used by the Department of Food Science at North Carolina State University - and therefore probably a lot of other higher education institutions around the country (and world.) This is a very large database which finely details the nutritional content of virtually any food, to include some brand name products and processed foods. I have never seen this site down, it has always been very responsive, and I trust that the data is accurate.

Today's Worst

MedJournal Watch Blog

All I can tell about this Blog's author is that he is a "free-lance medical writer." I was kind of hoping to give him a break because English is his second language, or something :/ I have been following this blog via an RSS feed for the past week, and there have been two headlines that I quite frankly did not understand at all: "Yet pregnant women target of weight loss hysteria" and "Painstaking characters less struck by Alzheimer's" - huh? After reading the articles themselves I was able to ascertain what he was trying to convey - but overall, confusion! I do like the overall content of the blog though.

2 comments:

Andria said...

Hey Marcie,
Sent you an email asking for your take on the latest reports about mercury, fish and pregnant women.
Would love to know your thoughts.

http://www.npr.org/templates/
story/story.php?storyId=15005507

nayan said...

Tips on Nutritious Diet
VLCC diet counselors educate guests about healthy diet intake which contains right proportion of nutrition in accordance with their daily life style. Tips on Nutritious Diet